Each year, the ROMance organization awards a minimum of $2,000 to assist at least three new talented students in attaining their higher educational goals. Applicants must:
- be an African American male
- be a U.S. citizen and resident of Prince George’s County, MD or Darlington County, SC
- be a graduating senior from a public high school in Prince George’s County, MD or Darlington County, SC at the time of his initial application
- have a 2.5 grade point average or higher
- show leadership potential
- show social responsibility, including school and community service involvement
- demonstrate talent qualities in the arts
- plan to attend an accredited and approved institution within the United States
- demonstrate financial need
The recipient(s) is selected in the spring prior to entering college by the Scholarship Committee based on the information contained in their application packet. The recipient(s) is invited and expected to attend and participate in the annual scholarship dinner benefit each July at the expense of the ROMance organization.
April 20th – postmarked. If April 20th falls on a Saturday or Sunday, applications should be postmarked by the following Monday.
Application materials must be submitted in one packet. Transcripts and letters of recommendation should not be sent under separate cover. SAT/ ACT scores must be included on the application at the time it is mailed. Late, incomplete, emailed or faxed applications will be not considered.
The recipient(s) may use the scholarship to pursue a Bachelor’s degree at any accredited and approved four-year institution or an Associate’s degree at any accredited and approved two-year institution. The scholarship may be used toward the payment of tuition, academic fees, room, board, or the purchase of required college-related materials and books. The student must have verification of admittance from the college or university he plans to attend (i.e., letter of acceptance).